25 July 2016
It's hard to believe, but we're heading into the final week of our five week major works program to remove level crossings at North, Centre and McKinnon Roads.
We are on track to have the trains back up and running and McKinnon Station open from Monday 1 August, with Ormond and Bentleigh stations to follow later in the month. Replacement buses will continue to operate along Grange and Jasper Roads while the works continue at Bentleigh and Ormond stations. Express services will return on the Frankston line from mid-September and the overall project will be complete in late 2016.
Over the past four weeks the project has completed the excavation of the rail corridor, installed much of the rail infrastructure and craned in the pre-fabricated station buildings.
Over the next week we will:
- Complete the installation of the new train tracks as well as overhead wire structures and signalling construction works
- Continue work on the new station buildings and associated infrastructure
- Continue installing station lighting, operating control systems and ticketing
- Test and commission the new rail line and complete driver training.
Changes to the way you travel
North Road is open to through traffic, with lane closures remaining in place. There are various overnight closures (8.00pm to 6.00am) on McKinnon and Centre roads so please refer to signage in the area.
Frankston line – until Sunday 31 July
- Up until the last service on Sunday 31 July, buses are replacing trains on the Frankston line between Caulfield and Moorabbin stations. Bus services will continue to operate for users of Bentleigh and Ormond stations as works continue in these locations.
Local bus routes
During overnight disruptions on McKinnon and Centre roads, local bus routes 626, 701, 703 and 979 may be diverted.
Come down and see our work
Make sure you get down to the bridge decks before the major works have been completed. Members of our project team will be at the bridge decks to answer any questions you might have about the works at the following times:
- Tuesday 26 July, 12.00pm to 2.00pm – North Road bridge deck
- Thursday 28 July, 12.00pm to 2.00pm – Centre Road bridge deck.
We appreciate all your patience and understanding while we complete these important level crossing removal works.