The level crossings on North, McKinnon and Centre roads have been removed and works are continuing to finalise Ormond, McKinnon and Bentleigh stations.
A project team including John Holland and KBR is undertaking these works.
What you need to know
Our major works program is complete. It took the team just 37 days over June/July to remove three dangerous and congested level crossings, excavate the rail corridor, lower the rail line under the roads and start building three new stations.
McKinnon Station is now open, with Ormond and Bentleigh stations set to open in late August.The overall project will be complete in late 2016.
What was achieved over the 37 days:
- three crossings were removed at once - the first time this has been achieved in Victoria's history
- started to build three new stations
- 1,000 people working across day and night shifts
- 750,000 plus man hours (since June)
- 250,000 cubic metres of soil removed from the rail corridor in just 10 days, equivalent to filling the first two tiers of the MCG
- 33,000 cubic metres of concrete poured, equivalent to five acres or 40 house blocks
- 3,000 tonnes of steel reinforcement used
- 150 semi-trailers leaving site every hour during the major haulage program.
This has been the largest program of works ever undertaken on Melbourne's rail system since the construction of the city loop. Please view our latest drone footage to get an idea of the sheer scale of the works.
The good news is that while there's still work to be done, we have completed our most disruptive works.
Over August and September there will be a number of weekend rail disruptions, so the project team can get into the rail corridor to carry out further construction activities. Works will take place 24/7 over August at the station precincts while we complete the buildings.
Over the next few months we will:
- finalise the three new stations
- reinstate the third track for express services
- complete the new station car parks
- complete drainage works in surrounding local roads
- undertake landscaping and reinstate roads
- hand back EE Gunn Reserve to Glen Eira City Council to facilitate a reinstatement program
- host station completion events/community celebrations.
Dropping in the steel for the stairs at Bentleigh Station
Pre-fabricated station and steel roof structure in place at Ormond Station
Major level crossing works video
We want to thank the local community for your ongoing patience and understanding during these major works. We couldn't have done it without you.
Thank you too, to the traders and community members who came along to our weekly drop-in information sessions during the major works program – and the hundreds of people who came down to the project site to see the works first hand.The project team will host community events later in the year to celebrate the completion of works at the new stations.
Traders open for business
The project team is working closely with local traders to minimise the impacts of construction where we can, and ensure access to local businesses is maintained at all times. We encourage the local communities around North, McKinnon and Centre roads to continue supporting their local businesses, who are trading as usual throughout the project.
Open for business video
Stakeholder Liaison Group (SLG)
A Stakeholder Liaison Group (SLG) comprised of local businesses, community groups and residents is meeting monthly to provide input into the project, and share information within the community.
Local residents, businesses and other stakeholders are being kept up to date with the project and its progress via website updates, regular bulletins and letterbox drops, local newspaper advertising, onsite information boards and community information displays.
Planned travel disruptions
- Ormond and Bentleigh Stations will open at the end of August. The train replacement bus service will continue to operate along Grange and Jasper roads to service these two stations in the interim.
Frankston line – extended weekend disruptions
- From 1:00am on Saturday 27 August to the last service on Sunday 28 August, buses will replace trains between Caulfield and Mordialloc stations.
- From 8:00pm on Saturday 3 September to 6:00am on Sunday 4 September, buses will replace trains between Caulfield and Moorabbin.
Bus replacement services video
North Road will remain open at all times with lane closures in place. There will be some night time closures of Centre and McKinnon Roads, so please look out for on-road signage.
During overnight closures on McKinnon and Centre roads, local bus routes 626, 701, 703 and 979 may be diverted.
Shorter construction schedule
Through careful planning the project has reduced the actual construction time by six months. Without this new program there would have been road closures throughout all of 2016, including major disruptions from December 2016 until January/February 2017.
Under the new construction schedule, major works were completed over June/July 2016.
We are aware of the impact construction can have on the local community and we have a number of measures to reduce this impact. Please read the fact sheets below:
Removal of the level crossings will transform the station areas into modern transport interchanges and include:
- lowering the rail line below North Road, McKinnon Road and Centre Road
- rebuilding Ormond, McKinnon and Bentleigh stations
- lowered platforms accessed via lifts, ramps or stairs
- building walking and cycling paths
- reconstructing the station car parks