In April 2016, an Alliance including Lendlease, CPB Contractors, WSP Parsons Brinckerhoff, Aurecon and Metro Trains Melbourne was formally awarded the contract to remove the nine level crossings between Caulfield and Dandenong, including Koornang Road.
Construction will begin mid-2016, and all nine level crossings will be removed by the end of 2018.
The Koornang Road level crossing removal is part of the Caulfield to Dandenong project, which involves removing nine level crossings, rebuilding five stations, creating new open spaces and parks as well as power and signalling upgrades.
An innovative new elevated rail design has been proposed by the Alliance (Lendlease, CPB Contractors, WSP Parsons Brinckerhoff, Aurecon and Metro Trains Melbourne) after a competitive tender process. The proposed design includes a series of three modern, elevated sections of track which will free up traffic and remove the barrier between communities.
The proposed design will transform the rail corridor into over six kilometers of linear park – creating the equivalent of 11 MCGs of new open space, community facilities, parks, playgrounds and car parking.
- No more level crossings
- New stations
- New parks and facilities
- Less noise and disruption
- More car parking
- Thousands of jobs
See our frequently asked questions for more information.
Removing Koornang Road level crossing creates:
- a new, safe and upgraded station. The Carnegie Station precinct will include an intermodal transport hub, with connections to buses and taxis as well as a 'kiss-and-ride' area
- a shared path from Grange Road to Koornang Road's shops, cafes and services, Carnegie Station, and beyond
- improved north to south connections, making it easier for people to travel to and within the area. People who deliberately shop elsewhere to avoid the level crossings will now be encouraged to shop locally
- a free-flowing community with improved connections, new open spaces and a safer transport precinct.
Before and after images of the proposed design
The maps below show an aerial view of the proposed design. To ensure they are viewable on mobiles, tablets and desktops, we've split the images into sections. Please click on any of the images to open the image gallery.
Complete aerial view maps
Pedestrian rail crossing
From 7pm Friday 27 May 2016 to 5am Monday 30 May 2016 the pedestrian rail crossing between Carnegie Station car park and Woorayl Street near Chestnut Street will be closed.
Local traffic disruptions and lane closures
There will be lane closures from 11pm Friday 27 May to 5am Monday 30 May in both directions at Koornang Road level crossing and short-term local street traffic controls.
For further information, please contact the Level Crossing Removal Project: Caulfield to Dandenong community team via:
Call: 1800 762 667 (business hours Monday to Friday and during out of hours works).