The project to remove the level crossing at Heatherdale Road, Mitcham and build the new Heatherdale Station has been completed.
A project team including CPB Contractors, Aurecon and Arcadis removed the level crossings at Heatherdale Road in Mitcham, Main Road and Furlong Road in St Albans and Blackburn Road in Blackburn.
The new Heatherdale Station is now complete with the Heatherdale Road level crossing gone forever.
During the 2016/2017 summer the Belgrave/Lilydale rail line was lowered beneath Heatherdale Road and the Station was rebuilt on the east side of the road. On Monday 6 February the new station opened to customers.
Commuter car parks have reopened with direct access to the platforms. A new 'kiss and ride' drop off point via Heatherdale Road also provides direct access to Platform 2.
A section of the 10km Box Hill to Ringwood walking and cycling path has been completed as part of the project. The path joins onto existing links from Brunswick Road through to the new Heatherdale Station and connects onto the Eastlink trail via Molan Street.
For those cycling to the new station a new parkiteer cage has been installed. To secure a space inside the cage please contact the Bicycle Network on 1300 546 525 or register online at Bicycle Network.
This level crossing removal project was designed to include:
- lowering the rail line below Heatherdale Road
- rebuilding Heatherdale Station on the east side of Heatherdale Road, closer to the existing car parks
- improving access to the station
- lowered platforms accessed via lifts, ramps and stairs
- optimising the car parking to ensure there is no net loss of parking spaces
- building a walking and cycling path with improved pedestrian access to the station.
Check out drone footage of the summer works period where the project team worked hard to deliver a fantastic new station and remove the level crossing for good.
We want to thank the community for all their patience and understanding during construction of this important project.
Local residents, businesses and other stakeholders were kept up to date with the project and its progress via website updates, regular community updates and letterbox drops, local newspaper advertising, onsite information boards and community information displays.
Please contact the Level Crossing Removal Authority on 1800 762 667 for any questions about this completed project.
- Heatherdale Road Community Update – November 2015
- Heatherdale Road Community Update – December 2015
- Heatherdale Road Community Update – May 2016
- Heatherdale Road Community Update – July 2016
- Heatherdale Road Community Update – October 2016
- Heatherdale Road Community Update – December 2016
- Heatherdale Road Community Update – March 2017
- Heatherdale Road Community Update – May 2017