Construction has started on the removal of the Main Road and Furlong Road level crossings with both projects to be completed by mid 2017. Construction at both sites is expected to take 12 to 18 months to complete.
A project team including CPB Contractors, Aurecon, Arcadis, VicRoads, Public Transport Victoria and Metro Trains Melbourne will remove the level crossings and rebuild Ginifer and St Albans Stations. The project will also remove level crossings at Blackburn Road in Blackburn and Heatherdale Road in Mitcham.
Furlong Road, St Albans
This level crossing removal will include:
- lowering the rail line below Furlong Road
- moving Ginifer Station up to the intersection at Furlong Road, with access to the station at Furlong Road and Bond Street
- installing platforms in the rail cutting accessed via lifts, ramp and stairs
- building a walking and cycling path parallel to the rail line, from Furlong Road to Willis Street
- relocating the car park to the east of the rail line, maintaining at least the same number of spaces.
Artist impression of Ginifer Station.
Main Road, St Albans
Removal of the Main Road level crossing will transform the station area into a modern transport interchange. The design includes:
- lowering the rail line below Main Road
- rebuilding St Albans Station
- accessing lowered platforms via lifts, ramps and stairs
- reconstructing the station car park providing the same number of spaces as a minimum
- building a walking and cycling path
- relocating the bus interchange from Alfrieda Street to either side of the station
- a pedestrian overpass at Ruth Street.
Artist impression of the Main Road level crossing removal.
The video below shows an overview of the 50 level crossings that will be removed, including designs for the removals at Furlong Main Blackburn Heatherdale.
Planned travel disruptions
Careful planning and scheduling will maintain road access and train services through much of the construction program, however some road, rail and station closures will be necessary to undertake works safely.
As part of major construction on the Main Road Level Crossing Removal Project, works took place at Main Road St Albans during January 2016. The level crossing was closed for 19 days to enable the construction of a bridge deck directly to the west of the existing level crossing.
The bridge deck allows traffic to flow on Main Road while the construction team continues to dig underneath. This technique significantly reduces traffic impacts during construction.
During March and April Furlong Road was closed for three weeks to build the bridge deck across Furlong Road (see our timelapse video of the construction). Preparatory works carried out during the January closure allowed the rail line to run during this key stage of the project and this saw minimal disruption for rail commuters.
Works continue at both sites with the next major closure in October 2016. This closure will realign the new tracks, remove the boom gates and see the new St Albans and Ginifer Stations open for operation.
Delivering the Main Road and Furlong Road level crossings removal projects together will accelerate the delivery of the overall level crossing removal project, minimise disruption to residents and road users, and reduce the number of closures required on the Sunbury rail line. We are dedicated to minimising the impacts on the community as much as possible; however, construction of a major project does have some unavoidable impacts.
Due to this construction there are changes to train and bus services, station parking and to traffic and pedestrian access in St Albans. There will also be noise, dust and vibration and night works are required so we can work on the train line when services are not running. We will work with local traders and residents to minimise impact of construction as much as we can.
Car park changes at St Albans Station
Monday 29 February 2016 to Mid 2017
As part of the works to remove the level crossing at Main Road there will be long term car space closures around the station.
- Up to 106 car spaces closed in the West Esplanade car park for excavation to lower the rail line
- Alternative parking will be provided in the St Albans Hotel and St Albans Bingo Centre car park on McKenchnie Street
Car park changes at Ginifer Station
Thursday 24 March 2016 – Mid 2017
As part of the works to remove the level crossing at Furlong Road there will be long term car space closures at the Willaton Street car park.
- Alternative parking will be provided in the St Albans Road car park and at the rear of the St Albans Hotel and Bingo Centre car park (1.7 kilometres from Ginifer Station and will take approximately five minutes to drive).
- Customers are encouraged to consider alternative transport to the station during this time, where possible.
The final design for the Furlong Road Level Crossing Removal project will be developed with input from the local community - including residents, traders and community groups - and other key stakeholders like Brimbank Council.
Local residents, businesses and other stakeholders are being kept up to date with the project and its progress via website updates, regular bulletins and letterbox drops, local newspaper advertising, onsite information boards and community information displays.