In April 2016, an Alliance including Lendlease, CPB Contractors, WSP Parsons Brinckerhoff, Aurecon and Metro Trains Melbourne was formally awarded the contract to remove the nine level crossings between Caulfield and Dandenong, including Clayton Road.
Construction will begin mid-2016, and all nine level crossings will be removed by the end of 2018.
The Clayton Road level crossing removal is part of the Caulfield to Dandenong project, which involves removing nine level crossings, rebuilding five stations, creating new open spaces and parks as well as power and signalling upgrades.
An innovative new elevated rail design has been proposed by the Alliance (Lendlease, CPB Contractors, WSP Parsons Brinckerhoff, Aurecon and Metro Trains Melbourne) after a competitive tender process. The proposed design includes a series of three modern, elevated sections of track which will free up traffic and remove the barrier between communities.
The proposed design will transform the rail corridor into over six kilometers of linear park – creating the equivalent of 11 MCGs of new open space, community facilities, parks, playgrounds and car parking.
- No more level crossings
- New stations
- New parks and facilities
- Less noise and disruption
- More car parking
- Thousands of jobs.
See our frequently asked questions for more information.
Removing the Clayton Road level crossing creates:
- a modern, world class station design at Clayton Station featuring escalators, stairs and dual lifts.
- a new north-south road linking Carinish Road and Haughton Road to provide an integrated bus interchange that will make transferring between bus and train easier for all commuters
- new community open spaces developed in partnership with local residents, traders and council
- a new village plaza and station forecourt at Clayton Station adding to the urban amenity of the local area.
Before and after images of the proposed designs
The maps below show an aerial view of the proposed design. To ensure they are viewable on mobiles, tablets and desktops, we've split the images into sections. Please click on any of the images to open the image gallery.
Complete aerial view maps
Changes to car parking
From midnight Friday 27 May to 5pm Sunday 29 May 2016, there will be car park closures at Clayton Station.
For further information, please contact the Level Crossing Removal Project: Caulfield to Dandenong community team via:
Call: 1800 762 667 (business hours Monday to Friday and during out of hours works).