In April 2016, an Alliance including Lendlease, CPB Contractors, WSP Parsons Brinckerhoff, Aurecon and Metro Trains Melbourne was formally awarded the contract to remove the nine level crossings between Caulfield and Dandenong, including Chandler Road.
Construction will begin mid-2016, and all nine level crossings will be removed by the end of 2018.
The Chandler Road level crossing removal is part of the Caulfield to Dandenong project, which involves removing nine level crossings, rebuilding five stations, creating new open spaces and parks as well as power and signalling upgrades.
An innovative new elevated rail design has been proposed by the Alliance (Lendlease, CPB Contractors, WSP Parsons Brinckerhoff, Aurecon and Metro Trains Melbourne) after a competitive tender process. The proposed design includes a series of three modern, elevated sections of track which will free up traffic and remove the barrier between communities.
The proposed design will transform the rail corridor into over six kilometers of linear park – creating the equivalent of 11 MCGs of new open space, community facilities, parks, playgrounds and car parking.
- No more level crossings
- New stations
- New parks and facilities
- Less noise and disruption
- More car parking
- Thousands of jobs.
See our frequently asked questions for more information.
Removing the Chandler Road level crossing creates:
- a new community space opposite the Railway Parade shopping strip, to be developed in partnership with the local community and council
- continued of the pedestrian and cycle path, with links to the EastLink trail via Yarraman Station and west to Noble Park Station
- safe pedestrian access on both sides of Chandler Road
- opportunities to plant additional native trees and protect mature River Red Gum trees.
Before and after images of the proposed designs
The maps below show an aerial view of the proposed design. To ensure they are viewable on mobiles, tablets and desktops, we've split the images into sections. Please click on any of the images to open the image gallery.