The Caulfield to Dandenong Level Crossing Removal Project is removing nine level crossings and rebuilding five stations. The Cranbourne-Pakenham train line is Melbourne's busiest and is crossed by some of our most congested roads, with boom gates down for up to 82 minutes during the morning peak.
The Centre Road level crossing removal is part of the Caulfield to Dandenong project, which involves removing nine level crossings, rebuilding five new stations at Carnegie, Murrumbeena, Hughesdale, Clayton and Noble Park.
Learn more about the Caulfield to Dandenong project.
Before and after images of the design
The maps below show an aerial view of the design. To ensure they are viewable on mobiles, tablets and desktops, we've split the images into sections. Please click on any of the images to open the image gallery.
Complete aerial view maps
Station precinct changes
Work has started to remove the Centre Road level crossing and rebuild the Clayton Station. This has involved the following changes to the station precinct which will come into effect from mid-October:
- Changes to the way you enter and exit Platform 2.
- Temporary waiting room with CCTV and customer help point and safety zone on the platform*.
- Relocation of myki machines and myki readers to the temporary station entrance.
* Protective Services Officers will continue to patrol the station daily from 6:00pm until the last service.
While accessibility will be maintained, customers with special needs are encouraged to call the Community Information Line on 1800 762 667 to discuss specific requirements.
Car park closure
Clayton Station Carinish Road car park is now closed until mid-2018 to allow works to remove level crossings, construct elevated tracks and rebuild the station.
Clayton Station Haughton Road car park (eastern end) will be closed from 7:00pm Saturday 15 October to late December 2016.
Although the closure will begin at 7:00pm, please note the following:
- It will be possible to exit with your vehicle until midnight on the day of the closure
- If your car is left in the car park beyond midnight, we may be required to relocate your vehicle within the station car park to ensure no damage is caused
- If your car is left in the car park after the 48-hour notification it will be relocated to a secure facility outside the station car park
During construction, rail customers are advised that the car park at Huntingdale Station has been extended to provide 80 additional car spaces. Station car park users are encouraged to plan their travel and consider alternative transport to nearby stations and offset car park locations.
Pedestrian access changes
The shared user path located on the south side of Carinish Road, between Flora Road and Madeleine Road is now closed until mid-2018. This is to enable safe access to the rail corridor for construction of the new elevated rail structure over Clayton Road. Detour signs are in place at either end of the closure directing pedestrians and cyclists to cross to the north side of Carinish Road.
The Haughton Road footpath extending from the end of the car park, between Pullyn Street and Collier Road is now closed until mid-2018. The area is fenced off and the detour is on the south side of Haughton Road.
For your safety, please observe any signage and instructions put in place during these works.
We thank you in advance for your patience and cooperation while we carry out these important works.
Call: 1800 762 667 (business Hours – Monday to Friday and during out of hours works)