The level crossing at Blackburn Road in Blackburn has been removed and trains are now running underneath Blackburn Road.
A project team including CPB Contractors, Aurecon and Arcadis removed the level crossings at Heatherdale Road, Mitcham, Main Road and Furlong Road in St Albans and Blackburn Road in Blackburn.
The level crossing at Blackburn Road is gone forever and trains on the Belgrave/Lilydale line are now running beneath the road.
Removing the level crossing at Blackburn Road has significantly improved the traffic flow in Blackburn, with drivers and pedestrians now experiencing safer and smoother travel.
Before major work started in early 2016, the Blackburn Road level crossing was one of Victoria's worst, with boom gates down for more than 54 minutes during the two-hour morning peak.
Work on improvements to the station precinct are continuing and include new ramps, stairs and lifts, upgraded drainage systems and enhanced lighting and security.
Commuter car parks have reopened and a section of the new walking and cycling path has opened. The path connects with recreation amenities at Morton Park, provides safe access over the railway with two new pedestrian bridges at Oliver Avenue and Cottage Street and a new underpass beneath Blackburn Road.
Image: New walking and cycling paths along the railway line near Blackburn Station
This level crossing removal design included:
- lowering the rail line below Blackburn Road
- pedestrian crossings over the rail cutting at Cottage Street and King Street/Oliver Avenue, connecting the north and south sides
- a new walking and cycling path between Blackburn and Nunawading.
The existing Blackburn Station has been retained, with enhancements to better integrate the station with Blackburn Village and improve the way people move around the precinct. This includes:
- extensive drainage work to address the ongoing flooding in the underpass
- enhancing the underpass entrances to let in more natural light
- two new Disability Discrimination Act (DDA) compliant ramps to improve access from South Parade and Railway Road to the underpass.
- new canopies on either side of the underpass and landscaping of the forecourt.
- two new lifts from the underpass to the central Station platforms and Railway Road. These lifts are on track for completion in July 2017. The inclusion of lifts was thanks to some strong advocacy by the community and representatives on the Stakeholder Liaison Group.
Check out drone footage of the summer works period where the project team worked hard to remove the dangerous level crossing for good.
We had a great turn out from the community welcoming the return of the Blackburn Craft Market to South Parade on Saturday 10 June. Thank you to residents, traders, commuters and the Blackburn Craft Market for your ongoing patience and understanding during the construction of this important project.
Local residents, businesses and other stakeholders were kept up to date with the project and its progress via website updates, regular community updates and letterbox drops, local newspaper advertising, onsite information boards and community information displays.
Please contact the Level Crossing Removal Authority on 1800 762 667 for any questions about this completed project.
- Blackburn Road Community Update – November 2015
- Blackburn Road Community Update – December 2015
- Blackburn Road Community Update – May 2016
- Blackburn Road Community Update – June 2016
- Blackburn Road Community Update – July 2016
- Blackburn Road Community Update – September 2016
- Blackburn Road Community Update – October 2016
- Blackburn Road Community Update – December 2016
- Blackburn Road Community Update – March 2017
- Blackburn Road Community Update – May 2017