Work has begun on the level crossing removals at Mountain Highway and Scoresby Road, Bayswater and the project is due for completion in late 2017.
A project team comprising Laing O’Rourke, Fulton Hogan and AECOM, in an alliance with Public Transport Victoria, Metro Trains Melbourne and VicRoads, is removing the level crossings and rebuilding Bayswater Station.
This level crossing removal will include:
- Lowering the rail line below Mountain Highway and Scoresby Road
- Raising Mountain Highway at the point of the crossing to allow continued train access to the Train Maintenance Facility behind Bayswater Station
- Rebuilding Bayswater Station
- Platforms accessed via lifts, ramps and stairs
- Reconstructing the station car park, optimising parking and providing the same number of spaces
- Building a walking and cycling path.
Artist's impression - subject to change.
The project will see the construction of a brand new Bayswater Station with a modern transport interchange and the removal of two dangerous and congested level crossings at Mountain Highway and Scoresby Road.
Take a look at how the project will improve traffic flow and make it easier to use public transport:
Take a walk through the new Bayswater Station
The Level Crossing Removal Authority is also supporting VicRoads' and Council's vision for the area, helping to create better cycling and pedestrian facilities, widening footpaths and bike lanes on Mountain Highway, and creating better connections into and around the station and activity centre. This video explains how the area will look and work once works are completed.
Careful planning and scheduling will maintain road access and train services through much of the construction program, however some road, rail and station closures will be necessary to undertake works safely.
Major works at Bayswater October to December
As part of the works to remove the level crossings at Bayswater, a major construction blitz is set to get underway between 15 October and 23 December 2016. At the end of these works, the level crossings at Mountain Highway and Scoresby Road will be gone for good and the new Bayswater Station will be open to customers.
The existing Bayswater Station will close on Saturday 15 October, as workers begin to demolish the building and complete the new station. From 4 November to mid-December, the Belgrave line will be closed between Ringwood and Belgrave for a massive 37 day construction push.
Scoresby Road will be closed at the level crossing from 2 to 19 November, and Mountain Highway will be closed at the level crossing from 20 November to 23 December, with detours in place.
During the construction blitz, 63,000 cubic metres of dirt (equivalent to 25 Olympic-size swimming pools) will be excavated from the new rail trench, workers will lay new tracks, lay 8000 tonnes of ballast, lower the train line under the two roads, construct the new Bayswater Station and build the road bridges.
Important dates to remember during the summer construction blitz:
- 15 October – Bayswater station closed for demolition, trains will run express through Bayswater and a train replacement bus service will operate between Heathmont, Bayswater and Boronia stations
- 21 to 23 October – Buses replace trains between Ringwood and Belgrave stations
- 21 to 23 October – Scoresby Road closed at the level crossing for removal works
- 2 to late November – Scoresby Road closed at the level crossing for main level crossing removal works
- 4 November to mid December – Buses will replace trains between Ringwood and Belgrave stations
- 5 November to mid December – Station Street closed to traffic between Mountain Highway and Pine Road. Pedestrian access to all businesses maintained.
- 20 November to late December – Mountain Highway closed at the level crossing for main level crossing removal works.
Work will be carried out 24 hours a day during these closures to minimise disruption. Pedestrian access to all local businesses will be maintained with parking available at the Pine Road car park and James Street car park.
Information regarding disruptions is being distributed to commuters along with notifications and updates to Bayswater residents and traders.
Bayswater Station car park and bus stops
15 August to 14 October 2016
Temporary bus stops are currently located on Station Street and Pine Road until they are relocated to High Street when major construction works begin on 4 November.
Station Street stop: bus routes 745 a, b, c, d – 745 – Glen Waverley.
Pine Road stop: 755 – Knox City via The Basin, 664 - Knox City – 664 – Chirnside Park
Alternative all-day commuter car parking is available at the Knox Community Arts Centre on Mountain Highway until 14 October.
People are encouraged to consider alternative transport to the station during this time, including walking, cycling or catching public transport.
Disability permit car spaces remain in place next to the station entrance.
Bayswater train replacement bus stop and car parking
Bayswater Station will close to customers at 1:00am on Saturday 15 October. Trains will run express through Bayswater. A train replacement bus service will operate between Heathmont, Bayswater and Boronia, to help customers get where they need to go.
The train replacement bus stop is located on Bayswater Road, next to Bayswater Oval. (see map below)
Customer car parking will be available at the oval. A marquee will be erected and customer service staff will be on hand to assist customers.
Relocation of bus stops
Bus stops on Station Street and Pine Road will be relocated to High Street, Bayswater (within 40 metres of current stops) for the following services:
- Route 664, 755, 745, 745a, 745b, 745c, 745d and 753 buses
Local residents, businesses and other stakeholders will be kept up to date with the project and its progress via website updates, regular bulletins and letterbox drops, local newspaper advertising, onsite information boards and community information displays.